Wednesday, December 8, 2010

No Fear Shakespeare - ALL

It all started with Hamlet (see No Fear Shakespeare - Hamlet for more details).  I figured that since I could make one of these, I could do the rest.  All it would take would be a more general program and some "skillz" at using Microsoft Word.

Again, I'm sorry, but no source code will be released at this point.  It's a bit neater than it was when I was extracting Hamlet, but it's still difficult to explain.  Maybe I'll just release it in its unpolished form sometime.  But it doesn't really matter because the program has already done its job.  All of the No Fear Shakespeare plays have been extracted and converted into these files.

Here's a quick overview of what I did, if you care.  First, I saved an example of a No Fear Shakespeare webpage from some random play (probably Macbeth).  Then, I played with the HTML until I knew what I needed to extract and what other things to keep and what to delete.  I wrote a C# program to extract this stuff and compile a .HTM file (a.k.a. just a webpage).  Then, I copied all the text in this formatted .HTM file and pasted it into a word template I made just for these No Fear Shakespeare plays, preserving the source formatting.  It still didn't look great, so I created a VB macro in Word to touch up the text.  Since I was using my slow laptop, it took a while to paste and format such large volumes of text.

Now you can go download all of the files, and here are some things you should know first:
  • You can get specific Word 2007 (.DOCX) or .PDF files by going into the different folders for the different plays.
  • The .DOCX files are smaller, but you'll need something to read it, but I think the .PDF files seem more professional.
  • You CAN edit the .DOCX files, but you CANNOT edit the .PDF files.
  • "No Fear Shakespeare WORD2007.zip" contains only the .DOCX files for each of the plays.
  • "No Fear Shakespeare PDF.zip" contains only the .PDF files for each of the plays.
  • "No Fear Shakespeare HTML.zip" contains only the HTML files for each of the plays.  HTML is by far the smallest format, and is the best if you are reading on the computer (printing the HTML file makes it really small and the formatting is kind of funny).  You MUST all of the .HTM files in the same folder as the "No Fear Shakespeare  Macbeth  Act 1, Scene 1_files" folder and the ""No Fear Shakespeare  Macbeth  Act 1, Scene 1_files.htm" file because they contains all the scripts used in displaying the .HTM files correctly.
  • "No Fear Shakespeare ALL.zip" contains all of the files.  You still have the keep the .HTM files in the same long-named folder with the scripts.
Remember, THE TEXT IS NOT MINE!  IT IS ALL FROM SPARKNOTES!

All of these files are kind of long (they're full plays with Modern English translations), so printing them out will use a lot of paper.  But it's still better than buying the No Fear Shakespeare book from SparkNotes (in my opinion).

If you liked this, don't forget to tell your friends!  Please link them to this blog first instead of giving them a direct link, because it increases the traffic on this site, which makes me happy!

Have fun reading Shakespeare (if that's possible).  Believe me, the No Fear Shakespeare version is countless times easier to read than the real thing!

So, without further ado, here's the link to download those files:

27 comments:

  1. This is so awesome. I want to give you my eternal thanks for these pdf files. I've only started loving Shakespeare when No Fear Shakespeare came out with their modern English translations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot
    saved a lot of time:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this ... thank you so much for taking the time to do this and explain to us how you do it

    Thank you so much for making this easier to read and access

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're awesome. Million thanks! Thank you sooooo much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, I'm glad you guys [still] find it useful! Haven't checked my blog in AGES!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dude. I cannot tell you how much this helps :D
    Amazing job man. Thanks so much !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just glad to be able to contribute [something] to the world :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my Shakespeare! You sir, are a hero!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mate this is excellent, thank you so much for providing such a great service.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This saved me in my AP English class. Shakespeare is getting tougher for students now that we are simply moving farther from Old English poetry. This helped me understand a lot in Hamlet and has also helped a lot of my classmates. You are a lifesaver!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is fantastic. I was rummaging the internet for No fear Shakespeare where I could get one freely. There are some other ebooks. Would you be able to download them? or tell me a way to download them please?

    sampathjayakodydon@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow thanks for this, I actually was looking for the PDFs all over the place when I suddenly stumbled upon this site. Really appreciate it. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  13. i don't know how to thank this blog.....
    I was never a fan of Shakespeare but was compelled by my school to do so..
    So when I read i started loving... but many parts were unclear...
    Then I came by this no fear....
    But it was quite a mess to copy and paste in a doc....
    So million of thanks to you.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job!
    I've been longing to do this myself, but you saved me some time.
    Thank you friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is amazing. Thanks a lot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much! Keep up with the great work :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks a lot man, you're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  18. the link isn't working
    somebody pls share it on google drive

    ReplyDelete
  19. Can someone please give me the pdf of No Fear Shakespeare:Measure For Measure?? It's REALLY REALLY important!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are a especial HUMAN BEING. Probably DON'T realise it. WELL let me TELL YOU AGAIN: YOU ARE ONE of a kind. THANK you thank you thank you

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you so much for sharing these files. You are awesome...👍

    ReplyDelete